Norton Moses was a devoted father, rancher, law enforcer, and Texas legislator, Brother Moses exuded his Masonic principles and tenets in every facet of his life. As a member of many lodges and chapters in his illustrious career, hundreds of brothers and companions had their degrees conferred by the well-traveled Brother Moses. He served as Grand Master of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Texas in 1878. His unselfish virtue, flawless character, and love of God, humanity, and craft will inspire Norton Moses Masonic Lodge #336 A.F. & A.M., Leander, Texas until the time is no more.
Organized in the Williamson County community of Bagdad, Norton Moses Masonic Lodge was chartered formally in 1871. A lodge building was constructed in 1870, which also served as a community meeting center and public school. It was named for Norton Moses, a teacher, who participated in the group’s formation.
Norton Moses Sign In 1899 the Masons moved to the new railroad town of Leander renting space until 1907. The original school building remained in Bagdad until 1901 when it was torn down stone by stone and re-erected in Leander and donated to the town as a school. The original Bagdad Masonic owned land was donated to the Bagdad Cemetery. Through its leadership, the lodge was instrumental in the development of Williamson County.
In 1938 the school building burned down and once again Masons granted permission for their lower floor to be used for classes until the new school was available. The lower floor of the lodge was used as a voting precinct for several years. In 1983 a gas explosion destroyed the lodge in downtown Leader and after temporarily meeting in Round Rock and Liberty Hill the lodge was relocated to the present location at 201 Sonny Drive in Leander.
On July 18, 1983, the Norton Moses Lodge and members of the Grand Lodge of Texas held a cornerstone leveling ceremony at the new Leander High School.